Thursday, June 20, 2013

Door Frame - Pinterest Idea

I found this great antique door frame on pinterest and LOVED it!!! I love the way it brings in the old with fresh clean interior design.


I knew my brother's co-worker's hobby is woodworking and lucky me his schedule opened up!!! I showed him the picture and he said he could have that done in a few hours!!! It was the craziest thing to leave and come back with the frame in place! Like MAJIC!!!  I went in search of the corbels and paint while he started the building part. I don't have a clean hallway door frame, so I wanted it on the patio door in the breakfast area, which is the "center" of our downstairs.




Even without the stain, it looked great!!
 
I love that cool edge at the top. And the molding underneath it!!! All those cool cuts make me happy!!!


I was afraid the corbels were rather small for the space. But with the glaze they ended up working just fine.


I figured I would paint it white with a silvery grey glaze to get an antique look that matches my interior colors.

Thankfully I ended up at Heritage Paint in Sugar Land off of Hwy 6 and Dulles Ave. I love that store!! The guy even gave me a mini tutorial and was SUPER friendly!!! He had a few samples of glazing work and I loved one that was silvery grey!!

The base coat is Benjamin Moore, Cumulus Cloud 1550.
I call it a beigy grey!!! LOL!!!

The glaze he sold me was a silver, and lots and lots of sponge brushes!!

 
Oops, just noticed I forgot to take a picture of the shimmer.  Off to google I go, ok, here it is nice and silver!!!
 
I painted the base color and let that sit for 2 days. Then I mixed a bit of the tintable glaze with the shimmer. Wow! The shimmer is very strong, for the entire frame I used around 25% of this little bottle!
 
Here you can see the base color and the part where I started the glazing process!  The corbel on this picture has not been glazed.
 
 This is the same picture from above just from a different angle! What a big difference the glaze makes!!!
 
Here the glaze is still "wet".
 This picture shows you the truest color that I ended up with.
 I purposely re-applied glaze into the nooks to give it that worn and old look!
 Love it!!!
The glazing took no more than 2 hours, with rest time and re-applying, darkening some spots, lightening others. The guy at the paint store mentioned that the tintable glaze would stay wet for 24 hours, so I could go back and lighten and darken as I pleased. So it was really easy!!!


LOVE LOVE LOVE the character that this frame gives my place!
 
Since my walls are a light grey in blends in nicely without demanding too much attention on its own. Very good complimentary colors!!

4 comments:

  1. I love this IDEA, and I am a sucker for moldings! You did an awesome Job! Thank you for linking up

    Brooke
    startathome.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the post, and hmm those are some pretty interesting Door Frame.Thank you for sharing................

    Wholesale entry door

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this post and I love frame!

    ReplyDelete
  4. buy antique indian door frame at mogulinterior.com
    http://www.mogulinteriordesigns.com/category/26881513161/1/Antique-Doors.htm

    ReplyDelete